September 16, 2008

Tired

Will I ever get enough sleep again?

I can honestly say that I have been tired for 5 years now. It started when my daughter was a baby. SHE NEVER SLEPT! I can vividly remember wanting to hit other moms when they told me that their kids slept through the night when they were 6 weeks old. Never say things like that to an overtired cranky 40 year old! NEVER.

I was able to restrain myself from physically battering them but in my head I always heard the refrain..."Liar, Liar, pants on fire!" I think I had lost it by the time she was sitting up.

So fast forward to Fall 2008. I've had house guests since June, changed jobs this summer, been nursing a heel spur that refuses to go away and has crippled me to the point that I can barely get around and been up most nights with my daughter who has recently been experiencing growing pains, started seeing monsters under the bed and having nightmares about giant pinching insects (nice). Once I am up I can't get back to sleep. Too much to think about in the middle of the night.

I have also had a falling out with my brother, and had my heart broken by someone I thought was my best friend of almost 5 years. Talk about stressful...

In August I made a drastic move. I rearranged my bedroom and set up a scrapping areas just for me. I have always been creative, went to art school and love anything that I can make from nothing. I loved to scrap and had been going along at a nice clip until about a year ago. Then life got too hectic, the job had turned into a nightmare, my daughter was requiring more time and the first thing to go was scrapping quickly followed by yoga. I made the big mistake of letting go of the things I needed to do to keep me sane.

So, I am scrapping again. I can not believe all that has changed in a year. I was horrified to see that all my papers & embellishments were sorely outdated. I just had to start shopping for supplies again...there was no choice! I also started doing some online tutorials and visiting scrappy sites to get myself reacquainted with the scrap world. There is so much to see online that if you don't watch out you will be so busy reading and watching that you will never have time to scrap again!!!!

After visiting a ton of different sites I stumbled upon www.ScrapbookSuppliesDirect.com and found a wonderful community of scrappers. In the few weeks I have been lurking around there I have yet to see one thing that would make me want to turn tail and run. In fact it is everything I was looking for in a support site for scrappers. Hey...there's support! But not just that there are great contests, tons of great tips & tricks and a gallery that is jam packed with creativity. Oh did I mention that there are women there? Real women who love to scrap and don't feel the need to be anything but nice and respectful to the others in the forums?

I decided to try out for their Design Team Call. There are 2 positions they are trying to fill right now. One is a Guest Designer for October 08, the other is for a long term designer with the position lasting 3-6 months. I thought that throwing my hat into the ring would be a good way to challenge myself and get busy scrapping again. So starting about 2 weeks ago I began working like a mad woman trying to get some work done to submit. The cutoff was last night at 10p.m. my time. I had a couple very late nights leading up to the end of the call but it was so worth it. I am not sure if I have a chance at the positions or not but I do know that the call was the spark I needed to get going again. They will be picking the new DTs by the 20th. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

And go check out the site if you haven't already.

I'm off to sleep at my desk for a bit!