October 6, 2008

Following Up

I realized that I never posted about the surprise visit from Mia's birthmom.... It went very well.

She and Mia spoke on the phone before she arrived and I think that helped calm her nerves about the visits. Mia was so excited to see her again and as soon as they arrived she took her upstairs to see her room. They played for about an hour until lunch was ready. It was a difficult hour for me. I was antsy and jumpy and REALLY wanted to be upstairs. But I knew in my heart that it was so important for them to have the alone time together. I guess it always about letting our children go. I always have to remember that Mia is a gift. Children are not our posessions and should never be treated like they are.

I owe Mia's birthmom the time to come to terms with the situation. I try to remember what 24 was like for me. Then I try to imagine what it is like for her and I feel overwhelmed with compassion for her. She did a brave thing in the face of what many would call a huge "mistake". Well, that "mistake" saved my life.

The most important thing is to keep the openess in my heart and not let the fears push that out.